Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rick-Lash

Today's entry shall be brief for the only movie I have rewatched since the Globes -- which I had the joy of watching in full with Joanne last night -- has been The King's Speech. As we all know from previous posts, I consider that a tenuous ship and I dare not rock it. Furthermore, tomorrow is the first day of the semester and I have to rally dang early and head it to Dobbs Ferry for my English classes. Thus, there is a time cap on what I am going to permit myself to say. I'm already violating my Deepak Chopra sleep rules!

I would simply like to say that the negative reaction to Ricky Gervais' off-color remarks is nothing short of laughable. These criticisms have me wondering -- no offense to Steve Martin -- whether people were actual laughing at his "Bringin' Down The House" jokes. Could it be?

This is Hollywood, ladies and germs. These folks are far cooler than all of us or the entire mirage of show business is shattered. He made fun of Charlie Sheen, Scientology, and made a couple of digs at the head of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. And?

The big joke was, "I had to pull him off the toilet and put his teeth in." Who on earth -- including those who need to be removed from the commode and supplied with teeth -- find that off-color? The reaction is nothing short of Rob Reiner's deus ex machina overreaction in Ed TV. That's right, folks: I have been compelled to make an accurate Ed TV reference. Ed TV. This is where I am. This is the only equation I am able to make.

Ricky Gervais has done so much for the Golden Globes they have the Oscars wondering if they need to shift their telecast to JANUARY! The Oscars -- the trophy of choice for all performers -- has been dancing this way and that while the Golden Globes have become admittedly more fun, have let their presenters speak their minds, have booked the best comedian we've got, and literally have all the other awards dancing around their schedule.

Lighten up, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment