Thursday, January 13, 2011

Do I get funnier?

Perhaps the most hilarious thing about this Blog is that I planned to write regular reviews in October -- when this blog began. Then I got caught up in 10 other things and didn't do it.

This time, however, I am going to do it.

When the Golden Globes end, I am going to write my reviews of all the big movies from the year. I am also going to talk about the jockeying and positioning for Oscar noms and we (whether I'm speaking in the editorial or there is actually a reader beyond myself remains to be seen) watch me get hooked onto cheering on the movie that doesn't have a chance of winning -- a pastime I've enjoyed since The Piano.

Before any of this happens I am going to very simply state my Top 10 (in alphabetical order) for the year and I am going to then lay down my who will win who should win predictions for the Globes. Then Monday I'll check in and start the Oscar watch since the noms are January 25th.

My dream, obviously, is that this becomes a Nora Ephron movie wherein I'm married to the adorable Chris Messina (as long as it's not Towelhead Messina because that was gross).

McCue's Top Ten for 2010

Black Swan
The Ghost Writer
Hereafter
Inception
The King's Speech
Shutter Island
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit

And then it's killing me whether I put in Scott Pilgrim (because I laughed my ass off), Easy A (because Emma Stone nailed it), The Kids Are All Right (because I adored it despite its flaws), or the lovely Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Thus, I believe I'll have to leave it as a Top Nine.

GOLDEN GLOBE PREDICTIONS


Best Picture Drama:      The Social Network
Best Picture Comedy:    The Kids Are All Right
Best Director:                 David Fincher
Best Screenplay:            Aaron Sorkin (Though we know I want Nolan.)
Actor Drama:                 Colin Firth
Actress Drama:              Natalie Portman
Actor Comedy:              Kevin Spacey (Though this category is insane. Double Depp?)
Actress Comedy:           Annette Bening (Though watch the crazy HFPA give it to Emma Stone!)
Supporting Actor:          Geoffrey Rush (But this one is honestly a true HFPA toss-up)
Supporting Actress:       Helena Bonham Carter (Though I could see Mila Kunis winning. Those Euros LOVE a pretty girl.)
Score:                            Alexandre Desplat
Song:                             Give me a freakin' break on this category! I refuse to type any of these song titles!
Best Animated Film:     Toy Story 3

I'm not going to go through the television awards as the point of this future Ephron optioned blog is Oscar lead up. Bob Hope called The Oscars "Passover" (best joke ever). I call the lead up "McAdvent."

But about TV let me just say that I hope an honorary award is bestowed upon Sally Draper while the entire ballroom takes to its feet for the most intense standing ovation in recent history. One of those ones where you hear the odd whistle and just the "Vo!" of the "Bravos."

Do it Colfer. Do it Clare Danes.

No comments:

Post a Comment